This idea has been rattling around in my head for quite a while and it's time I do something about it.
It's a Carnival thing. Now before you get all defensive, I know we have a ton of carnivals in the blogosphere. The Vanities, the Capitalists, Recipes, the Liberated, etc. How could we possibly need one more Carnival?
Because it would be good for us. This one is for our health.
In the past year I finally decided to face my unhealthy lifestyle and do something about it. For me that meant joining a diet plan and starting to exercise for the first time in my adult life. Next on the list is to quit smoking. (Horrors!) It also means that in order to maintain the changes I need to make, I will have to change habits for a lifetime.
With the New Year just behind us, many of us resolved to get in better shape. I notice Steve blogging about exercising. Chumley blogging on weight loss goals. David telling us about sleep apnea. That's just a sampling from a few local blogs.
We have Grand Rounds, but the posts are really from the perspective of the health care provider.
Normally, sitting behind our keyboards is not going to help us to be healthier. But if we use this medium to share information and motivate each other it could be a good thing. Think of all the possibilities:
- Atkins? South Beach? Slim Fast? What plan did you choose and why? Is it working for you?
- Do you have a favorite exercise video? Is it for the beginner or someone more advanced? What makes it great?
- Have you taken a favorite recipe and reduced the calories? Share it with me!
- Have you found new favorite products that fit into your goal of losing weight?
- How do you stay motivated?
- What health care problem went undiagnosed? I've seen bloggers talk about OCD, Panic attacks, etc.
- What do you order when you eat out?
I'm not good at naming things. Maybe it would be best to leave it at Carnival for Your Health. I'm open to suggestions. I'd appreciate it if you find the idea interesting if you would publicize it on your site or leave a note in the comments. If there's enough interest, I'd like to have the first entries submitted by Friday, Feb. 4, with the first Carnival to be posted on Monday, Feb. 7th. I'd also be looking for other bloggers to host each week going forward.
So, drop me a line and we'll see if it's just me.